I wanted to give you a little review of a lot that happened in 2018.
What we accomplished in 2018:
I had increased communications with the membership on a large scale creating an email newsletter, increased activity to social media accounts and our own video productions.
1. Our biggest accomplishments of 2018 were saving the jobs of multiple members through our legal defense and workers comp defense. Several members were saved from attempts at forced medical retirement, several from termination during the IA process, several probationary members that could have been terminated during probation have kept their jobs.
2. FLSA Lawsuit and obtained money, some I have heard as high as $6,000, for members (early) at the same time fixing an overtime calculation error so going forward you get the correct amount of money. Which you will be getting more money than the past.
3. Built a Political Action Committee and PAC process that is a force to reckon with. We developed a professional system with questionnaires and an interview process. We started supporting our endorsed candidates with independent expenditures like the powerful unions do. Within six months our political power increased and we have been recognized as a political force.
4. Prevented the dept. from wrongfully detailing multiple members at CJ 5 and CJ 2 during an EWW.
5. Protected another member financially when the dept. Forced a swing shift member to day shift. The member was moved to a swing shift to continue getting the shift differential.
6. Spoke publicly at several Board of Supervisor meetings for the benefit of our members.
Even Board of Supervisors fighting for us, which I have never seen before.
- 1. Sandra Fewer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3EK_BQPkI
- 2. Jane Kim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA8Q6Prpn3A
7. Vehicles stored at San Bruno for over a year, sent to outfitters
8. Increased the amount of Tasers at Community Program
9. Increased the amount of cell phones at Community Programs
10. Obtained Ergonomics evaluation for 7L
11. Obtained an Arwin gun for 7 L
12. Moved out of a low interest rate .10% CD to higher interest rate 2.3% CDs. This will increase our positive cashflow substantially.
13. First association audit in 4 years.
14. 3 line by line audits of our Collective Bargaining Agreement so we can find the weaknesses in our contract and also to find the areas where we are not at par with industry standards.
15. Taylor Swift Tickets given to members.
16. SF Giants law enforcement day discounted tickets to members.
17. Cut waste / DSA expenditures saving the DSA money. We were paying for services that were never or rarely used. One of which we did not even need, a people data search service called Spokeo.com We obtained significant savings in 2018 compared to 2017.
18. Received Donated Office furniture. A company donated a nice conference table and about 20 very nice office chairs to us. I located this company online seeking to donate their equipment.
19. Awarded the 2018 Platinum Seal of Transparency by Guidestar
20. Donated Toys at Christmas to Tenderloin Low Income Housing and to the Fire Fighters Toy Drive
21. We did Multiple Press Releases on work conditions. This put the dept. Into a tailspin.
22. Statement to the Press on vehicles breaking down
23. Increase Facebook fanpage from 2300 followers to 6500 followers. We are working to increase our public relations by doing this it will give us leverage with the people of SF.
24. Award Ceremony Video
25. Lip Sync Challenge Video
First to take Lipsync Challenge International (Made International News)
26. Dancing with Tourist Video
27. Created a Welcome Packet for New Members
28. First in DSA History to use Online Voting
29. First in DSA History to conduct a secure Online DSA Survey
30. Conducted DSA meetings at San Bruno CJ 5. Maybe the first is decades.
31. Conducted 3 trainings for DSA Board and Members on POBOR and more.
32. Started retirement research in 2018 on our unique 8302 situations. Also submitted to CalPers the make our briefings pensionable.
These are some of what we had accomplished I may have missed a few, but I believe that is the majority. I enjoyed doing all of this for you but I have to say the FUNNIEST TIME of 2018 for me was working together with a dedicated group of members making the Lip Sync Challenge. It was really a moment of history for us and just a complete Blast!
Lomba for President
First 100 Days:
I Will make these Priority DSA Issues; Get us more money, Fix the Staffing Shortage, Stop Cross Division Detailing, Stop the Global Draft, Return Seniority Rights, Replace Aging and Unsafe Vehicles, Increase Training Hours with Job Related Training, Secured Parking
I Will have three professionals audit our contract to identify weaknesses and get their recommendations to strengthen our contract.
Anything that is not pensionable in our Contract, I Will work at making it pensionable. For future contracts, pensionable incentives will be a priority, fixing longevity pay for the new Deputies, I will work to obtain a incentive pay for FOD, Muster Prep Pay for Senior Deputies, Assistant Watch Commander Pay for Senior Deputies, Retention Incentive at 20 years, Retention Incentive at 25 years, Hiring Bonus, Fitness incentives, Parking Reimbursements, make Vacation and Holiday considered as Work Time in CBA to reduce straight time O/T, Property Bonuses if you purchase or rent a home in SF, fix the Senior Deputy Vacation book so it is 12 months with no expiration date and increase our Uniform Allowance .
I Will research our 8302 Miscellaneous Probationary Period SFERS retirement to either move it to CALPERS or conduct a Ballot Initiative to move it to Sheriffs SFERS which is a higher pay out.
I Will add two additional services for you. We will have a Workers Comp Legal Adviser and a Harassment Legal Adviser. If you have any problems with Harassment/Retaliation or DP/Workers Comp process you will have professional help. Something as simple as a phone call or letter from our legal adviser during a difficult time may resolve the matter.
I Will Cut Financial Waste. No more frivolous or indecisive lawsuits. When we have a lawsuit it will be fought to WIN! Financial Records will be detailed and transparent. Everything I do will be to get you better wages, benefits, better working conditions and to make the DSA Stronger.
I Will start a Public Relations Campaign to increase awareness of our Heroic Acts, our Charity Events, our Participation in the Public so the voters know who we are and all the good we do.
I Will have Training for the Members on what you should know about the Peace Officer Bill of Rights and Internal Affairs.
I Will provide Training to the Executive Board and Shop Stewards related to their tasks and job.
I Will start functional Committees to help the members and DSA:
(All members welcome to join)
Investigations Committee to investigate and assist with grievances, policy issues, contract and labor agreement issues.
Public Relations Committee to develop ideas on public events. (Teddy Bears for Kids, Fingerprint ID Kits for children, helping the elderly, helping the low income)
Research and Development Committee to research new ideas, ballot initiatives, DSA expansion, Dept Expansion, Positive Work Condition Changes
Budget & Finance Committee to act as an oversight committee to the DSA’s expenditures.
Entertainment Committee to set up events for members so we can come together and have a great time.
Lomba for President
No More Excuses, Just Progress
In 2015 something happened that shocked the members. What was it? It was the outcome of the Executive Board Election. This was Eugene Cerbone’s second term as President. What was shocking about it was that every person that Cerbone endorsed Won and they all averaged 300 votes. This was at a time when the majority of members were upset with his contract take aways, giving up the retroactive muster pay, selling out the new guys with a 18 year longevity pay and getting nothing for the members but a cookie cutter contract. Although that was shocking something very suspicious occurred as well and that was the ballot boxes were picked up days early, stored in the DSA office where the blank ballets and envelopes were kept along with the keys to the ballot boxes. Since that day, every election the ballot boxes were picked up early and everything Cerbone wanted passed and if for some reason it did not pass, then he conducted another vote until it past.
A large group of members wanted this stopped because if it wasn’t how could we ever have a fair election. Several times I had discussed this and requested that it be stopped. I even sent a formal request by email to stop the early ballot box pick up, but those requests were ignored. Since our DSA President was not stopping this practice, we only had one remedy left and that was to let a judge decide if it was right or wrong. On April 7 2017, we filed a lawsuit against two special elections pointing out all the illegal violations, bylaw violations and lack of security of the ballot boxes.
The next step of our plan was to file a Exparte Application for a Temporary Restraining Order. In a civil case like this to get a TRO you must first have filed a civil complaint, which we did described above. Secondly in order to get a Temporary Restraining Order their must be a reoccurring problem, which we had consistent early ballot box pick ups We brought this issue before the court.
The judge denied relief in relation to having re-election, but that was okay with the coming elections that was not our objective. Our objective was to STOP the early ballot box pick up. The judge recognized and agreed that they early ballot box pick ups was wrong. The judge asked that the DSA attorneys make an agreement with our attorney, so we agreed to a 3 hour pick up starting at 1300 hrs., myself or a neutral party will watch over the ballot boxes as they arrive and shop stewards will be allowed to pick up the ballot boxes.
In typical Cerbone fashion, Cerbone wrote a letter to the members misleading them to believe that he fought for the members and the DSA Attorneys fought for the members stopping this lawsuit. Let me show you what they fought for. You will see a couple pages from their declaration statements and responses. In these documents you will see they were fighting to continue with the Early Ballot Box pick up practice. Not only did they do that, but Cerbone admits that he is using Executive Board Release time for Executive Board members to pick up the ballot boxes which is a violation of our Collective Bargaining Agreement. Violating and misusing the Executive Board Release time can open up a lot of new problems such as the configuration of the Agency Shop Fee but we will look into that later.
Let’s take a look at the last page of Cerbone’s statement. This is his “fight” for the members to have fair elections or is it his fight for continuing manipulation?
And here is the DSA Attorney fighting to continue Early Ballot Box Pick Ups.
We Did This For Fair Elections, We Did This To Protect Your Future, We Did This For You!
This is how we stopped the early ballot box pick up. We WON, Not Cerbone!
Lomba for DSA President
In September 2014 all the Senior Deputies were in for a SHOCK? The days when they were eligible to qualify and test for the Lieutenants position were gone. When the LT’s Exam announcement came out the Senior Deputies were eliminated from the qualifications and could not test for the promotional job opening.
The Senior Deputies were upset and rightfully so.
THE TRUTH ARE IN THE DOCUMENTS
So What Happened? Here Are The Chain of Events.
- It ALL began when DSA President Cerbone removed Entry Level and Promotional Qualifications from our Contract in 2014 and he did not notify the membership of this.
- Senior Deputies Complained when they were removed from the LT exam qualifications
- Cerbone promised to fight it but never told them he had removed Entry Level and Promotional Qualifications from the contract April 24, 2014
- Cerbone filed a Grievance, an Unfair Labor Practice Complaint and a Lawsuit
Let Me Show You What Happened!
5. Cerbone filed a lawsuit in 12/2014 but never set a Court Date and never Submitted Declaration Statements. The Lawsuit has sat with no activity for years!
8. The City Responded and Claimed Cerbone had UNCLEAN HANDS
City says DSA has UnClean Hands and has engaged in wrongful misconduct and/or omissions in connection with the claim that form the basis for this litigation. Full Document
9. The DSA did not respond to the Civil Service Commission and the Unfair Labor Practice was DISMISSED!
10. The DSA did not respond to Employee Relations and the Arbitration was Closed with Prejudice!
11. Public Records request for Arbitration details. DHR stated no records of it going to Arbitration.
12. Public Records request for Arbitration details. City Attorney Office stated no records of it going to Arbitration.
No Activity since 2015
Has the Association Executive Board forgotten the Oath they took? Are they looking out for your best interest or have they turned into a yEs-Board for admin? A yEs-Board meaning that they have forgotten we are a union that fights, defends and looks after the members best interest.
Let’s break down parts of the Oath. (more…)
What happened with the 15 Minute Briefing Pay negotiations in 2014? Why didn’t we get retroactive pay? Why didn’t we get overtime for the 15 minute briefing going forward? Let’s take a look at some documents and facts. When Cerbone became DSA President in 2014 why did he settle a MULTI-MILLION Dollar Lawsuit for no retroactive pay and not even for overtime pay? He did not even allow the members to vote on this decision. (more…)
I want to share with you what I have told my family. As the fires continue, their will be more smoke in the air from a mixture of burnt items, plastics, chemicals, construction materials, etc…. that will effect your health. (more…)
My mission is not only to build a Powerful Union, but also to provide you more Value!
Best Doctors Medical Advise
Are you making the right medical decision?
When you’re facing a critical medical decision – whether an important health question or a serious diagnosis – getting it right is everything. We make it happen. Best Doctors connects you to more than 50,000 world-renowned medical experts. As a result, you’re sure you have the right information, the right diagnosis and the right treatment.
Have your case reviewed by one of our Best Doctors through our InterConsultation® service and get a confidential expert report, including recommendations for the best course of action.
Get expert advice about medical treatment.